What to do in an emergency

It’s important not to panic in an emergency. Simply choose from the options below.

 

Electricity Emergency

Powercut or electrical issue?

Contact network operator

Gas Emergency

Smell gas or have a gas leak?

Contact network operator

Prepayment meters

Issues with your Prepayment meter?

View the Prepayment guide

Boiler Emergency

If you have ScottishPower BoilerCare and your boiler has stopped working, call us 24/7

0800 111 4686

FAQs

What should I do if I smell gas or suspect a gas leak?

If you smell gas or think there’s a gas leak:

  • Open all doors and windows.
  • Don’t use any naked flames or electrical equipment, including light switches.
  • Turn off the gas at the emergency control valve by the meter. It’s off when the ridged line on the spindle is across the pipe.

Call the National Grid 24 hour emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999.

What are the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide is a dangerous gas that has no sound or smell. It is caused by appliances in your home not combusting gas properly. It can cause a variety of symptoms, such as tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, giddiness, nausea, vomiting, pains in the chest, breathlessness, stomach pains, erratic behaviour and visual problems. That’s why it’s vital to know when you’re at risk, what to look out for and what to do if you detect CO in your home. To find out more about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning please see here.