Help and Advice

Check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to and take back control of your finances

Additional support for customers

The Warm Home Discount is a programme of support aimed at customers who are living in, or are at risk of, fuel poverty*. Some customers will qualify automatically for a rebate and will receive a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions telling them this. Other customers can apply for a rebate if they meet the eligibility criteria.

Maximise your income

If you are receiving a pension or state benefit or even if you are working, you may still be entitled to additional financial support from benefits or grants.

Visit National Debtline or call them on 0808 808 4000* they can check whether you are claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to and if you could boost your income. They will also see if there are any grants available to help you.

Help if you're having problems paying any of your bills

If you would like more help with free and independent debt advice about energy or other bills, then National Debtline can help you to work out a budget and to plan for you to pay off your arrears. You just need a list of your incomings and outgoings and your energy bill handy.

* Calls free from BT landlines

Pay your priority debts first

Priority debts may not be your biggest debts; they are those that have the greatest consequences for you if you don't pay. These include mortgage or rent arrears, council tax arrears, court fines, maintenance arrears, TV licence and income tax. Gas and electricity arrears are also priority debts because your energy supplier can disconnect your supply if you do not pay your bill.

Universal Credit

If you are worried about the introduction of Universal Credit then you can find out more in the government's Universal Credit guide. It will tell you about eligibility and how the changes will affect you.

If you are moving over to Universal Credit you can apply for a money advance to help you during the transition period. Just ask your benefits office about "Universal Credit Advance".

Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans

If you are experiencing temporary payment difficulties, you can get help with your benefits through Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans.  The following websites have information on how to apply for these loans:-

* A household is said to be in fuel poverty if it needs to spend more than 10% of its income on fuel to maintain a satisfactory heating regime (usually 21 degrees for the main living area, and 18 degrees for other occupied rooms).

Hardship Fund

How to apply for an award

Find out more

Customer charters

Help get the best out of your ScottishPower account

View here