- How do you define a complaint?
- What do you mean by 'fully resolved'?
- How long will it take for you to deal with my complaint?
- Who will deal with my complaint?
- How can I check the progress of my complaint?
- What if the category of my complaint is incorrect?
- When will you contact me about my complaint?
- Why do you need more information from me?
- What should I do if I'm happy for my complaint to be closed?
- What should I do if my complaint is closed but I'm not happy with the outcome?
- Will you compensate me or offer any goodwill gesture?
- When will I get my compensation or goodwill gesture?
- What is a deadlock letter?
- Who is the Ombudsman Service?
- What if I'm a Small Business customer and I want to make a complaint?
- Where can I get free, independent advice about complaints at any point in the process?
1. How do you define a complaint?
Our definition of a complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction by a customer in relation to our products or services.
2. What do you mean by 'fully resolved'?
We aim to fully resolve all complaints to our customers satisfaction. By 'fully resolved' we mean 'we both agree that we have addressed all of your issues and you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint'.
3. How long will it take for you to deal with my complaint?
We will try to resolve your complaint straight away but depending on the nature of your complaint we may need to investigate which can take a bit longer. At the moment that's within about 2 weeks for 90%* of customers. We'll keep you informed throughout and you can check our progress using your Complaint Tracker.
*Current performance results can be viewed at Our Performance
4. Who will deal with my complaint?
In the first instance our customer service advisors will aim to resolve your complaint. If they can't resolve your complaint straight away your complaint will be passed to a member of our Customer Care team who will manage your complaint until this is resolved to your satisfaction. At this time you will be given a named contact and they will also agree your preferred contact dates, times and method with you.
5. How can I check the progress of my complaint?
It's important to us that you know what's happening with your complaint so we've created an online Complaint Tracker where you can see updates, find answers to commonly asked questions and stay informed every step of the way.
6. What if the category of my complaint is incorrect?
When we record a complaint we select the most appropriate category to reflect the cause of the complaint. This information is contained within your Complaint Tracker. If you feel this isn't an accurate description of your issue please Contact Us.
7. When will you contact me about my complaint?
We'll endeavour to contact you as quickly as possible to resolve your complaint, in most cases via telephone within 5 working days. However, there may be occasions where we are unable to reach you. Rest assured we'll continue to attempt to contact you at various times/days. Where we're still unable to get in touch we'll take all necessary action to resolve your complaint the best we can. We'll send you notification of the resolution in writing and provide you with the opportunity to get back in touch if you are not completely satisfied.
8. Why do you need more information from me?
We may get in touch to request some additional information such as meter readings or a meter serial number to ensure we have the most up to date and accurate information to resolve your complaint.
9. What should I do if I'm happy for my complaint to be closed?
10. What should I do if my complaint is closed but I'm not happy with the outcome?
We aim to resolve all complaints to our customers full satisfaction. Where this has not happened we want to put things right. Please email us to allow your complaint to be re-opened and all required actions to be taken to resolve your complaint.
11. Will you compensate me or offer any goodwill gesture?
This will be dependent on the individual circumstances of your complaint which your complaint handler will work through with you. We'll work hard to put things right for you and in some circumstances this may mean offering some form of compensation or goodwill, but please rest assured we will do our best to provide a satisfactory resolution for your complaint.
12. When will I get my compensation or goodwill gesture?
This can vary depending on the method used to apply the payment. If this payment is being applied to your energy account it should be processed within 24 hours. If you're receiving a payment via cheque this should be with you in the next 14 days and if you pay by Direct Debit the payment will be credited to your bank account via BACS payment within 5 working days.
13. What is a deadlock letter?
If we're unable to reach an agreement with you regarding the resolution of your complaint we'll send you our final offer. This letter is called a "deadlock letter". You can accept this offer or if you're not completely satisfied you can refer your complaint to the Ombudsman (Ombudsman Services: Energy).
14. Who is the Ombudsman Service?
The Ombudsman (Ombudsman Services: Energy) are there to help resolve disputes between energy suppliers and their customers. It's free to use their services, and they are totally independent so they do not take sides, and make their decision based only on the information available.
15. What if I'm a Small Business customer and I want to make a complaint?
We're sorry that you're unhappy with our service. Please Contact Us and we'll work hard to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.
16. Where can I get free, independent advice about complaints at any point in the process?
There a number of external bodies who can provide you with free, independent advice. You can look at our Useful Contacts for further information.