Pay As You Go
Have more control with Pay As You Go on your prepayment meter - you simply pay for energy as you use it.
How it works
- We send you a key for your electricity meter or a gas card for your gas meter.
- You take your key or card to a Post Office or PayPoint outlet.
- You buy credit (top up) depending on how much you can afford.
- Keep the receipt from your payment as proof of purchase to ensure the transaction has been successful.
- Put your key or card into your meter and the credit will be transferred onto it.
- Simply top up your credit when you’re starting to run low.
- You can top up from as little as £1 for gas and £5 for electricity to a maximum of £49 per transaction per fuel.
- Running out of credit? Don’t worry - we’ve got it covered.
- You have an emergency credit facility to use in emergencies when you can’t get to the shops to buy credit. And your electricity meter won’t cut off overnight or all day on Sundays*
- Remember to keep your key or card safe. It’s unique to you and your meter and can’t be used in any other meter.
Why Pay As You Go could work for you
- You pay for what you use as you use it so it can help you budget for your energy needs alongside other household bills.
- It can help you keep track of how much you’re spending on your energy.
- You can build up credit on your meter over the summer to try to reduce the amount you have to spend in winter
- If you owe us money, we can collect payments towards the debt through your meter
Even more control – manage your account online
Registering for an Online Account means you can:
- order new payment keys or cards if you need them,
- resolve meter errors without the need to directly contact us or
For more details on Pay As You Go, take a look at our Prepayment Customer Charter
* Friendly Non Disconnect Service – your meter won’t cut off overnight between each period of 6pm and 9am Monday to Saturday or all day Sunday if there’s credit on it at the start of the period. These times may vary depending which area of the country you live in. Please Contact Us for further details of times in your area.
Pay As You Go Help
If you are having issues, or have questions about your Pay As You Go service, please view our help guidesView the FAQs
Manage your account online
Order new devices and resolve certain meter errors without the need to contact us.Login/register