FIT Frequently Asked Questions

If you need help, or have any other questions, please view the FAQs below. Simply click on the question to reveal the answer.

How does FIT Work?

The FIT Scheme allows customers to generate their own electricity, which ScottishPower (FIT Licensee) will pay you for. Payments are made for the electricity generated by the Microgeneration device. You will also have the opportunity to use this generated electricity in your home, giving you the opportunity to save money on your electricity bills. Any excess electricity generated can be exported to the local grid and we can pay you for this too.

How to register for FIT?

Only once you've installed your system, can you then apply for FIT. You can apply to ScottishPower or any of the other FIT Licensee's (a full list can be found on Ofgem's website). Register with ScottishPower.

Upon receipt of your completed application, if you are eligible, we will register your installation on Ofgem's Central FIT Register (CFR) as well as our own systems. A welcome letter will then be posted for you to sign and return in order to complete registration.

If your application is incomplete or you are ineligible to join the scheme we will contact you with further details.


What information do I need to provide with my application?

If you have applied online, you will be required to provide:

  • Your installation details
  • MCS reference number
  • Energy Performance Certificate reference number

Once we have received a completed online application, we will send you a welcome letter, which will include the key terms of the scheme, as well as a number of declarations which must be signed. The declarations, along with proof of purchase must be returned.

If you have completed a paper application, we will require the following:

  • MCS Installers Certificate
  • Energy Performance Certificate (see section: What is an EPC Certificate)
  • Energy Performance exemption letter (see section: What is an EPC Exemption Letter)
  • Invoice and proof of payment, confirming your purchase of the technology
  • Signed VAT declaration form
  • A copy of your utility bill (if you are not a ScottishPower customer)
  • A Preliminary acceptance letter (only applicable to Schools and communities)
  • Proof of ownership of the property (if you own the property, but do not reside there)

You are also required to sign and date all necessary declarations, which are included within the application.

What is an EPC? (only applicable to Photovoltaic (PV) customers)

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate. Every home needs one if being bought, sold or rented. EPC's are issued by Accredited Energy Assessors. An EPC shows the energy efficiency rating of a property and is valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

If you have solar panels you will need a valid EPC certificate providing a rating of A; B; C or D to qualify for standard rate FIT payments (otherwise a lower published rate will be instated for the duration of the installations participation in the FIT scheme).

Please note the following –

  • If your application is received on or after 9 May 2016, the EPC of level D or above must have been issued before the commissioning date of the FIT installation
  • If your application is received before 9 May 2016 but on or after 15 January 2016 an EPC level of D or above must have been issued on or before the commissioning date
  • If your application is received before 15 January 2016 an EPC level D or above must have been issued on or before the Eligibility Date of the FIT installation


What is an EPC Exemption Letter?

If an Accredited Energy Assessor believes that a property cannot be assessed for an EPC Certificate they will provide an EPC Exemption Letter. This letter must detail the reasons why the property cannot be assessed.

Ultimately you, as the "generator" of electricity will be responsible for providing evidence that your property is exempt however this must be signed by an accredited energy assessor. (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO 'PV' CUSTOMERS)

What is an MCS Certificate?

MCS stands for 'Microgeneration Certification Scheme'. If your device was fitted after 15 July 2009 with a total installed capacity of 50kW or under, it must be MCS accredited to qualify for FIT payments. You MCS accredited Installation Company will give you a MCS certificate. If you cannot locate this certificate please contact your installer.

What is a ROO-FIT accreditation?

ROO-FIT applies to customers with Hydro technology or any technology with a total installed capacity greater than 50kWh. Customers must obtain ROO-FIT accreditation from Ofgem before applying for the FIT scheme. Ofgem will supply a ROO-FIT number which will be used to register your installation.

What is my Commissioned Date?

Your date of commission is the date your device was installed and confirmed to be working. If you're not sure what your commission date is, you should get in touch with the company that installed your device to check. This date will be stated on your MCS Installers certificate.

What happens after my application is received?

Online Application

If you have applied online, we will review the information submitted, and if complete will register it on Ofgem's Central FIT Register. You will then receive a welcome letter from ourselves. This will contain the details of the key terms of the scheme, as well as a number of declarations. These declarations must be signed where applicable, and returned to ourselves along with proof of purchase of the generating system. Once we have received your signed declarations and proof of purchase, your account will be live.

Paper Application

If you applied using a paper application, once it has been returned, it will be reviewed by a member of the ScottishPower Feed-in Tariff Team to ensure that you have enclosed all relevant information and documentation. If the application is complete, and if you are eligible, we will contact you to obtain your opening meter reading as this is now required on your eligibility date, which is the date upon which your completed application is received.

If we are unable to reach you by telephone we will send you an email, or letter. It should be noted that we will need your opening meter reading in order to progress your application. Any incomplete application forms or any which are not accompanied by the necessary supporting document will be returned to the customer to be completed or to provide the relevant supporting documentation.

Complete applications normally take between 6 to 8 weeks to process. Once we have processed your application, if you are eligible, we will send you a welcome letter confirming your FIT ID, your eligibility date, your tariff and next meter reading due date. This letter also contains your statement of FIT Terms, which you must sign and return to complete your application. It should be noted that no payments can be made to you until the FIT Terms declaration has been returned.

What Tariff will I get?

Your tariff will depend upon a number of factors. Firstly we need to know what type of technology you have installed at the property; secondly we need to know the total installed capacity of your Microgeneration system. If you have a PV installation we must also consider your energy efficiency rating. FIT tariffs are controlled by Ofgem and DECC and can change at any time so your tariff will also be dependent upon when you joined the FIT scheme. A full list of tariff tables can be found

How often should I submit Meter Readings?

Readings should be submitted quarterly. Your first reading (also known as your Opening Meter Reading) is used to commence your FIT payments and you should send us subsequent readings every 90 days from the date of this first reading.

Your Welcome letter will advise when your second meter reading is due and invoices will notify you when subsequent readings are due.

You should not submit meter readings less than 90 days from your last meter reading. If we receive a meter reading before it is due, no payment will be made and you will be required to resubmit your reading after 90 days have passed. Readings for RPI tariff changes can be provided on or around 31st March regardless of when your next quarterly reading is due.

How do I submit Meter Readings?

The best way to submit meter readings to us is online. You will need your FIT number to enter readings (this can be found on your welcome letter).

Enter readings

Or use the Meter Readings telephone system by calling 0800 001 5156 Monday to Friday 8am - 4.45pm (local rate charge applies)

We assess your meter readings using 'Seasonal Tolerance Levels' which are calculated based on historical weather data throughout the four seasons. It is possible that on occasions you may be asked to provide photographic evidence of your meter readings. Please do not be alarmed if this happens, this normally indicates that your system is exceeding its expected performance levels.

If your meter reading is showing as being higher than expected, please check your meter to ensure the reading is accurate. It could be there is a decimal point missing, you have changed your meter, or your system is simply producing a lot of energy.

If the read you provided was correct, we will require photographic evidence in order to authorise a payment. Please email a photograph of the meter reading to, quoting your FIT ID.

Who is responsible for reading my Generation meter?

It is the generators responsibility to provide generation meter readings every quarter in order to receive FIT payments as ScottishPower will not do this for you.

As a Mandatory FIT Licensee, ScottishPower is however required to inspect your generation meter and, if applicable, your Export meter at least once every two years. We will use a third party meter reading company to perform this inspection on our behalf. If we are unable to gain access for this inspection, your FIT payments may be suspended until an inspection takes place.

Please note if ScottishPower is also your energy supplier we will continue to read your standard supply meter as usual.

How do I get paid?

FIT payments will be made following receipt of your quarterly readings. Payments are based on the number of units generated from your meter. Payments are made by BACS, directly into your chosen bank account, or into the bank account of a person that you nominated in the application.

We will not pay you until we receive your meter readings, so it is important that you supply readings every quarter, as detailed in your Welcome Letter.

FIT payments are made quarterly following receipt of your quarterly generation meter reading. You will be paid before the end of the month following receipt of readings (e.g. If your reading is received on 15th August, we will make a payment before 30th September).

If for any reason you change your bank details, please let us know immediately, by completing the attached forms – both forms must be completed otherwise it will delay the amendment.

Download the bank change form 1
Download the bank change form 2

Will I have to pay tax on my FIT Payments?

Domestic customers do not need to pay tax on FIT payments however, if you're a business customer, please check with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Will my FIT Payments Rise with Inflation?

On the 31st of March every year Feed in tariff rates are updated to reflect the movement in the retail price index ( RPI ).

Regardless of whether your previous read was less than 90 days before this date, we provide the option to submit a meter read on or around this date to help improve the accuracy of your FIT payments.

If you choose to do this, please submit your read using the online meter read facility which can be found on the FIT home page.

How long will my payments last?

Most types of technologies will receive payments for 20 years although this varies depending upon the technology type and eligibility date. The eligibility period for your particular installation is set by Ofgem and confirmed in your Welcome Letter.

Will my domestic electricity bills go down if I have a FIT Installation?

This will depend on each individual customer's own circumstances. You can only use the generated electricity when it is being produced, it cannot be stored. You must therefore be using the energy as it is being generated in order to benefit.

What happens if I move home?

If you take your Microgeneration system with you, you will lose the right to FIT payments for that installation. If the installation remains at the property the new owner/occupier will be able to transfer the FIT payments into their name. The transfer of the FIT Installation will need to be agreed as part of the sale of your home.

Please speak to our FIT agents on 0800 001 5156 on the date you move out along with a meter reading from this date to allow us to close your account.

What happens if I buy a property with FIT technology?

If you purchase a property which already has FIT technology installed and has been registered for FIT by the previous owner, you will need to agree as part of the sale that you will take over the FIT contract. You should also obtain details of the FIT licensee and the FIT ID. If the associated FIT licensee is ScottishPower, we require that you complete the 'Change of ownership form' and provide this along with proof of ownership of the property.

Download the form

What happens in the result of the death of the generator?

In the event that the generator dies, the FIT can be transferred to a nominated recipient. We will require a copy of the death certificate along with a completed 'Change to FIT Generator or Nominated Recipient Form'

Download the form

If this happens please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 001 5156 and we will support you through the process. Monday to Friday 8am - 4.45pm (local rate charge applies)

What happens if I change electricity supplier?

If you change your electricity supplier, this does not affect your FIT. You have the option to continue with ScottishPower for FIT or indeed transfer your FIT to your new electricity supplier (this is called 'Switching', see 'How do I change my FIT provider?' for more details.

How do I change my FIT Licensee?

This is called 'Switching'. If you want to switch to another FIT Licensee then you must let us know. Your new FIT Licensee will arrange a 'final read' with us and advise Ofgem. We will arrange your final payment once your switch is complete. Your records with us will be closed and your new FIT licensee will commence payment from the 'final read' date. Please note that all tariffs are set by DECC and Ofgem and are consistent across all FIT providers.

What is a FIT extension?

An Extension is where a FIT installation increases its generation capacity. Extensions with a commissioning date on or after 15th January 2016 are no longer eligible for FIT payments.

What if I need to change/add/extend my FIT Installation?

If you want to make any changes to your FIT installation (adding/extending the installation, removing parts of the installation, changing the wiring, changing the generation meter, fixing a fault, turning off your technology etc) you must let us know immediately. This will allow us to update the change on our systems and update the Central FIT Register. This will ensure that you receive the correct payments.

I am a Landlord - can I claim FIT Payments as a generator at my tenant's property?

Yes, Landlords can claim FIT Payments for eligible installations at tenants homes, however, you will still need to provide quarterly generation meter readings, so must have access to these. This will also benefit your tenant as they will be able to use the energy generated by your installation, which should help to reduce their electricity bills.

What do I do if I need to make a complaint about my Feed-In Tariff?

If you think there has been a problem with your payments, or any aspect of the service provided by ScottishPower, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 001 5156. Monday to Friday 8am - 4.45pm (local rate charge applies)

What if I have more than 25 installations?

If you have 25 installations or more you are classed as being a 'Multi-Generator'. You must indicate this to us in the Declarations section of the application. We need to know this to ensure you receive the correct tariff.

Should my electricity supply meter be going backwards?

No. Your electricity supply meter should never run backwards. If it does, please contact your energy supplier immediately to inform them of this fault. This happens as a result of your meter not being suitably equipped to cope with your new technology (FIT). It therefore must be replaced with a more suitable meter.

Where can I see the FIT terms and conditions?

The full terms and conditions can be viewed and downloaded using the button below.

Download the terms and conditions

What is a Deployment Cap?

From the 15th January 2016, deployment caps have now been introduced to the FIT Scheme. A deployment cap is a set amount of installed capacity that can apply for FIT in a given quarter. Ofgem and Gemserv will work together to monitor the number of new installations that have been registered and will notify all licensees when a cap is reached. If a cap is reached, you can still send an application to us, but we will not be able to process your application until the next time a cap is open.

How to apply

If you meet the criteria required for the scheme, you can apply today.

Find out more

Online Meter Reading

Enter your FIT meter readings online to ensure accurate payments.

Enter readings


If you need any help with the terms and phrases used, please refer to our glossary page.

View the glossary

Contact Us

If you need further help or advice, please don't hesitate to contact us:

General enquiries:

Please do not email applications to this mailbox. Apply online

0800 001 5156
Mon - Fri 8:00am to 4:45pm