Sharing data with credit reference agencies

One of the uses of data in our terms and conditions is sharing payment data with the CRAs. Any data that we supply to the CRAs is required to be accurate, up to date and meet agreed quality standards.

You should pay your bills within a reasonable time to avoid arrears building up. Should you experience difficulty meeting the cost of your energy consumption, it is best to contact us as we will be able to help you. If you do not pay your bills then over time the level of arrears will increase, which may result in ScottishPower taking some form of action. This could include ScottishPower notifying the CRAs that payment for the energy supply has “defaulted”.

The purpose of reporting arrears is to indicate that a customer is showing signs of potential financial difficulty.


As a general guide, this may occur when you are at least 3 months in arrears with your bills and normally before you are 6 months in arrears, and where you have failed to make sufficient payment or set up a payment arrangement:

We will send a letter to you at least 28 days before doing so, in order to give you time to make a payment or reach an agreed arrangement.

If ScottishPower does report an account as in default, we will report the default amount and the default date to the CRAs. Once the arrears are paid in full, the CRAs will be told that the default is ‘satisfied’.

A default will remain on your credit file for six years from the default date. This is in line with agreed procedures that apply to all defaults registered with CRAs and has been agreed with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). We can only arrange to have a default removed if it is shown to have been registered in error.

View The Financial Conduct Authority information sheet on defaults.

Payment arrangements

If we agree to a payment arrangement, but you fail to make the agreed payment against the terms, we may then file a default as soon as a payment is missed, as long you were at least 3 months in arrears on the original bill.

If you have already been defaulted and subsequently set up a payment arrangement, defaulted arrears will continue to be reported until the debt is repaid. Once the debt has been repaid, the CRAs will be notified that the default is satisfied.

Negotiated settlement

If we agree to accept a lesser sum in full and final settlement of an account that has been defaulted, we will amend the report to the CRAs to show that the account has been ‘partially satisfied’.

CCJS, Decrees, Bankruptcies, IVAS etc.

If a default has already been filed and a CCJ or other Insolvency is subsequently registered, we may report this information. The Default will remain on file with the CRAs. However, once the bankruptcy or such is over, you should inform ScottishPower and we will mark the account as ‘partially satisfied’.

Background to credit reference agency data


The use of this style of personal data by ScottishPower is controlled by the Data Protection Officer in conjunction with the Credit Risk Manager.

You can be given more specific detail of how your data is used by us, CRAs and FPAs by writing to: The Data Protection Officer, ScottishPower, 320 St Vincent Street, Glasgow G2 5AD.

Credit reference agencies

CRAs hold databases of debts and payments on products offered to consumers and businesses that relate to financial commitments; these will include credit agreements, such as mortgages, loans, credit cards or current accounts, and other commitments such as energy payments.

Information about the limits, balances and how these agreements are managed, are shared by the providers with CRAs. They in turn can provide a copy of your credit reference file to other organisations to be used, by them, to help make decisions about you or your business (if you have one).

Your credit reference file may only be used for agreed and specific purposes and may only be seen by those who are entitled to see it. The use of your information by CRAs is subject to strict rules, controls and security measures.

You can see a copy of your credit file from the CRAs if you make a request to them. There is specific legislation which sets out what must be supplied and how quickly the file must be sent to you.

The principle legislation is the General Data Protection Regulation, for which the Regulator is the Information Commissioner’s Office (the ICO -